Planning your move: Before the move
The Initial Consultation
- Gandhi International Shipping representative will provide an initial telephone consultation and we will gladly give you advise and guidance, as well as an estimate of moving costs and ways in which you can minimize those costs. A trained representative will come to your home at your convenience for a free estimate. This is all without any obligation whatsoever on your part.
- Prior to moving day, you will be involved in preliminary packing ( the consolidation and packing of your belongings mostly unbreakable such as linens, books, pots, toys, etc.) into cartons which Gandhi International Shipping will supply.
- On moving day our professional team of packers will arrive at your home with specially designed cartons, padded materials and, if necessary, custom-built boxes to safety pack your furniture, the remainder of goods, including breakables.
- Gandhi International Shipping will build heavy-duty "lift-vans" which are custom-made boxes designed to the size specifications of your shipment. These super-strong boxes resist all handling incurred in route to your new destination. All of your goods are packed into wooden, steel-strapped lifts, where they are safely kept until at your destination.
Arrival at the Destination
Off the Ship
- Following the departure from your local port of exit, our services continue in the country of your destination. With over 600 agents and affiliates worldwide, we are able to coordinate the move and pave the way for smooth customs clearance and expeditious service. Once the shipment is cleared, our agent will make arrangements for the delivery of your goods to your new home, office or venue.
Clearing Your Baggage
Depending upon the country you are moving to, you will need some or all of the following documents in order to clear customs:
- Immigrant Certificate
- Detailed packing list with value of contents
- Receipts for appliances and new furniture
- Tenancy contract or title for new house
- Proper proof of tax exemption, it entitled
- Copy of agreement with Gandhi International Shipping
- Delivery order notice
Ways to Save
One if the best ways to save on moving is selective packing. Will that king-sized bedroom set fit your new home aboard? Will that appliance work on the electrical current in your new home? Will you be able to get spare parts for it?
These are questions you should ask, and your Gandhi International Shipping representative will help you answer them. He knows which appliances will work and whether they would be cheaper to replace here or overseas. He can even arrange for the appliances you buy here to be delivered directly to the Gandhi International Shipping warehouse for shipping. Gandhi International Shipping will take the best possible care of your belongings, using sophisticated security measures at our warehouses.
There are times when for reasons beyond our control (i.e. acts of God, fire, hijacking, etc.) when your goods may be damaged or lost. For this reason we suggest you always insure your goods with an " All Risk, Door to Door Marine insurance" policy which should take effect on the date which your goods arrive at our warehouse facilities. (Note: The All Risk Marine Insurance includes war insurance, which covers hijackings.) While the cost of insurance is not covered by our estimate, your Gandhi International Shipping representative will be glad to guide you in the matter.
Remember, always insure your goods for the amount of money it would cost to replace then in the country you are moving to. Costs overseas are often mush higher than in the United States.